The CSA Food Project

The CSA Food Project

Monday, November 23, 2009

Favorite Food Magazines - Part 1 of 3

Another question that was recently asked of me was - what are my favorite food related magazines?

This is a tough one, I get a lot of them and they all serve different purposes. On the flip side, I personally feel that there are many food magazines that are not very good either because of the quality of the recipes/articles or the complexity of the recipes.

While I read some for inspiration and others for what new in food trends, the ones that I find the most useful are the ones that do the thinking for me. I have to confess ... even I have those days when I just don't want to think about food or cooking but got to get a meal to the table for the family.

While I have a "small library" of cookbooks (600 and counting), I find that I am reaching consistently for are three cooking magazines that I thought I would suggest.

Each of the three are excellent for home cookery and offer the best of healthy, easy and seasonal. All are under $15 (little more than a dollar an issue), visually stimulating and focus on simplicity in cooking with great recipes.


Favorite Food Magazine #1: Eating Well

I have been a long time fan and subscriber of Eating Well. It is a wonderfully designed publication focused on healthy, fresh cooking.

This publication make healthy eating a way of life with great, easy recipes (most 45 minutes or less). There is a ton of information on the latest nutrition science in easy to understand language. Lastly, I find the layout exceptional and the photography excellent and mouth watering.

The recipes run seasonal and are a great compliment to your CSA share. If you are looking for sustainable cooking this is a great source for ideas on seasonal cooking.

The publication always has interesting and new idea that are pushing the new boundaries of "eating well". More recently, the publication has become very committed to quick cooking and make ahead solutions recogonizing that we all dont have tons of time to cook during the weekdays.

It is for that I noted above and more that they are a top magazine pick for me personally. Not to mention EatingWell has been named one of the top 3 food magazine for the last 3 years (Folio: Eddie Award). It also won a James Beard Foundation Journalism Award for nutrition reporting in 2008 and an IACP Bert Greene Award for best food essay. The EatingWell Diet was named one of the top 10 best diet cookbooks last year by Health Magazine and CNN.

In my eyes, there is just no way to go wrong with a subscription to Eating Well if you are planning on the maintaining your CSA share in the coming year.




Should you decided that you want to subscribe to any of the recommended magazines, we ask that you use the links attached on this site. There is no additional cost to you if you purchase and we get a small commission that we use to keep this website running.

0 comments:

CSA Food Project - A Experiment in Sustainable Eating   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP  

/* ************ Google Analytics ************ */